Friday, January 25, 2008

About this blog....

I have been planning a trip to Kenya for the last 6 months, since I became acquainted with Kenyan Quakers from Western Province. My aim has been to learn on-the-ground about the work of the Rural Assistance Programme run by Kenyan Friends, which I'm told focuses on earth-nourishing agricultural techniques, rooftop rainwater harvesting and better methods of indoor cooking. These techniques will be of increasing importance as climate-change drought continues to spread.

It looks now as if that trip will have to be postponed. The politically based violence in Kenya has turned life on its head, and it looks like the troubles there will go on for some time.

I have some sources of direct news from Western Kenya, most of it from David Zarembka, Coordinator of the African Great Lakes Initiative/ Friends Peace Teams Program. David is a sophisticated observer and commentator, and his reports have been very valuable to me in getting a grasp of the situation.

On this blog (as soon as I learn how to do it) I will post messages from David Zarembka and from others in Kenya, as I receive them, to help others learn about what's happening there.

Mary Gilbert

No comments: